Rust is unsightly and disgusting, and when they form on electric kettles, it can give your water a funny taste. It is most likely rust if you notice a yellowish or reddish residue on your kettle.
Rust on an electric kettle is a natural reaction when the iron is exposed to moisture and oxygen.
Here Is Why Electric Kettles Rust:
Rust is a reaction when iron comes in contact with moisture and oxygen. Electric kettles rust if made from a ferrous metal material like iron or steel. Electric kettles made from a non-ferrous material, like stainless steel or aluminum, are resistant to rust.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Is Rust Inside A Kettle Harmful?
In general, rust inside a kettle is not harmful.
While rust is not harmful to humans, it can damage your electric kettle in the long run. Rust tends to spread fast, and when it does, it will shorten the lifespan of your electric kettle.
It may also affect functionality, especially if the rust spreads to the heating component. This is why it is still important that we prevent our electric kettles from getting rusty.
How Do You Remove Rust From Inside The Kettle?
If your electric kettle gets a little rusty on the inside, it is no need to throw it out immediately. You can still remove the rust to prevent it from spreading.
Removing rust on a kettle is not that difficult, and some methods only require a few things that are readily available around the house.
Here are the different ways to remove rust from the inside of an electric kettle:
1. By Using White Vinegar and Water
White vinegar is one of those items around the house with many functions.
It is non-toxic and cheap. Besides being an ingredient in cooking, vinegar is a good cleaning agent.
Plus, it can effectively remove rust from an electric kettle. Here is how:
- Mix equal parts of vinegar and water.
- Pour the mixture into your electric kettle and allow it to sit for 2 to 3 hours. The more rusty your kettle is, the longer you should let the mixture sit.
- Then turn on the kettle and let it boil for up to 5 minutes. By boiling, the rust should come off from the kettle.
- After boiling, let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the mixture out – be careful, as it might still be hot. Then rinse it off with cold water.
2. By Using Lemon
Some manufacturers would not recommend using vinegar, so lemon is a great alternative.
While lemon is not as strong as vinegar, it can still remove rust from an electric kettle.
Here is what you need to do:
- Take a few lemons and slice them.
- Put the slices inside the electric kettle.
- Fill the kettle with water and boil it for about 20 minutes.
- Allow it to cool.
- Take a brush and scrub the kettle with it to remove rust.
- Remove the lemon and water mixture.
- Fill the kettle with fresh water and let it boil again for 15 minutes.
- Drain the water out and rinse the kettle again.
- Wipe it dry with a clean cloth.
3. By Using Cleaning Solutions made for Electric Kettles
Another way to effectively remove rust from an electric kettle is by using cleaning solutions specifically for an electric kettle.
Several brands manufacture these solutions, and they are quite easy to use.
Here is how:
- Dilute or prepare the product according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Pour the solution inside your electric kettle and allow it to boil for 20 minutes.
- Allow it to cool, and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Drain the solution.
- Rinse the electric kettle with water and wipe it dry with a clean cloth.
4. By using Coca-Cola
You may not know this, but you can use Coca-Cola to remove rust.
It is very effective because it contains phosphoric acid that can dissolve rust when it comes in contact with iron oxide.
Here is how to remove rust from an electric kettle using Coca-Cola:
- Start by brushing the kettle to remove any attached rust stains.
- After scrubbing, rinse the electric kettle with water.
- Fill the kettle with Coca-Cola and let it sit for at least 20 minutes – the longer, the better.
- Scrub the kettle again using the brush until all traces of rust are gone.
- Discard the Coca-Cola and rinse the electric kettle with water.
5. By using Baking Soda
Like white vinegar, baking soda is one household product with many uses around the house.
Baking soda is an excellent cleaning agent, and it is effective in removing rust.
Here is how you to use baking soda to remove rust from an electric kettle:
- Mix baking soda and water, and pour this mixture into your kettle.
- Let it boil for about 30 minutes.
- After boiling, allow the solution to sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Throw out the solution and rinse the kettle with water.
- Keep repeating the process until all traces of rust have been removed.
How Do You Remove Rust On A Kettle?
Apart from the inside, the outside surface of an electric kettle can get rusty too.
Since all the methods discussed above are for removing rust from the inside of a kettle, here is how to do it on the outside. For this, you can use a baking soda solution or Coca-Cola.
Here are the steps:
- Take a baking soda-and-water solution or Coca-Cola and use it on the rusted areas.
- Let it soak for a few minutes, but if the kettle is too rusty, you can leave it overnight.
- Remove the solution and rinse it with water. Then wipe it off with a clean cloth.
It is not recommended to submerge your electric kettle, as that could mess with any wiring or internal machinery to your device.
If the exterior of your electric kettle is stainless steel, you can polish it with olive oil as an additional step. This will make your electric kettle shiny and look good again.
How Do You Prevent A Kettle From Developing Rust?
Now that you know how to remove rust from an electric kettle, you want to prevent it from becoming rusty again. Preventing a kettle from developing rust is quite simple. You need to be diligent about it.
Since rust is caused by a chemical reaction of iron as it is exposed to moisture and oxygen, you can prevent rust by keeping your electric kettle dry.
This means emptying your electric kettle after you use it. If you do not let water sit in the kettle for a long time, you can prevent rust from forming. Another way to prevent rust is by wiping the outside of the kettle and keeping it dry.
These simple things you can do to prevent your kettle from becoming rusty will only take up a small amount of your time.
Should You Replace A Kettle When You See Rust?
If the kettle gets too rusty, it may be time to throw it out and get a new one. When rust develops on metal, it tends to spread fast.
If you do not clean it, the rust will build up until it becomes a thick layer covering your electric kettle’s surface.
So if your electric kettle has become extremely rusty wherein the rust is difficult to remove, then it would be best to stop using it and get a replacement.
Do Le Creuset Kettles Rust?
Le Creuset is a brand of cookware that originated in France. Most of its products, including the kettles, are made from enameled cast iron that comes in vibrant colors.
Since Le Creuset kettles are coated with enamel, they are not prone to forming rust. The enamel coating serves as a layer of protection. This is so that the cast iron does not come in direct contact with water and oxygen.
Even if Le Creuset kettles are not prone to rust, they can develop rust if they are not being cleaned regularly and if you let water sit inside the kettle for long periods.
So it is recommended by the manufacturer that you empty these kettles after using them and clean the exterior regularly.
Do Fellow Kettles Rust?
Fellow is an American brand formed because of the founder’s passion for coffee. This brand started in San Francisco in 2013 and manufactured stovetops and electric kettles.
Fellow kettles are made from stainless steel and come with silicone handles, so they are highly resistant to rust. But if not given the proper care, they can still develop rust.
Nobody likes rusty kettles. So if you want a kettle that is resistant to rust, get one that is made from stainless steel and make sure to regularly clean and empty it. This is to prevent rust from developing and keep your electric kettle functioning as expected for a long time.