When you ship through carriers like USPS, UPS, and FedEx, most packages make it to the recipient as expected and on time. This is all thanks to carriers’ systematic and organized shipping process.
However, there are still some rare incidents when packages get lost in transit, even when you use a company as reliable as FedEx.
When this happens, what can you do? Would you still be able to recover the package from FedEx?
Here’s How Long it Takes to Consider a Package Lost:
FedEx will give you an estimated delivery date for your package, which could take 2 to 5 business days for domestic shipping. For international, it could take as much as 1 to 2 weeks. A package will be considered lost if seven days have passed from the estimated delivery date.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
When Can You Report a Package Missing with FedEx?
We are given an estimated delivery date whenever we ship a package with FedEx or any other carrier. This is when we should expect the package to reach its intended destination.
Depending on the location, the estimated delivery date can be anywhere from 2 to 5 business days if you are shipping to a local address. If you are shipping the package out of the country, it could take 1 to 2 weeks.
With today’s modern technology, you can get daily updates about your shipment. You can use the tracking number to check its status.
Sometimes the carrier will also give you updates through text or email, depending on your preferred mode of contact.
There are times when our shipments would get delayed. This can be because of inclement weather. If it’s an international shipment, it may be delayed because it has to go through customs.
Generally, it is not unheard of for a package to be delivered a couple of days late. It is very common, but if it has been days since the estimated delivery date and the package is still not received, then it could be lost.
You can report a package missing if at least seven days have passed from the estimated delivery date. Depending on why it was missing, your package can still turn up. It can still be delivered after a long delay, or they could send it back to you.
Here are some of the most common reasons why FedEx packages could be missing:
- The customer provided an incorrect address. The customer may have made a typo when providing the recipient’s address.
- The shipping label has fallen off. This could happen if the shipping label is not securely attached to the box.
- The markings on the shipping label have been smeared or smudged, making them unreadable.
- The carrier has not scanned the shipping label at the point of origin. The package can enter the supply chain without being scanned, so it would not be recorded.
- There was a human error in sorting or organizing the packages. The person handling the package may have loaded it into the wrong vehicle or gotten stuck under a seat.
- The package had been misplaced inside the warehouse.
- The package was damaged while in transit. The most common reason for this is inclement weather. It could also happen if the box used for the package were not sturdy.
In some cases, the package may have been stolen. The carrier may have left the package on the porch, and a neighbor or a passerby has stolen it.
Here is How to Report a Missing Package to FedEx:
- Before reporting a package as missing to FedEx, always double-check the tracking information. This is to make sure that the package was meant to be delivered on a specific day.
- If you have waited 5 to 7 days after the intended delivery date and the package is still not delivered, then you need to contact FedEx Customer Service. You can reach them through their toll-free 1-800 phone number or online chat support.
- When contacting customer service, make sure to have all the necessary details about your package.
- File a claim by filling out a form on the FedEx website.
- FedEx will then conduct a search and audit to locate and recover the package. If they cannot track it down, FedEx will pay you a certain amount based on the value of the package.
It is important to note that payouts amounting to $1000 and below are processed faster than big amounts.
If you declare the item value higher than $1000, getting a claim payout is slower. This is because FedEx inspectors will need to approve your claim.
How Does FedEx Recover a Lost Package?
If you suspect your package is lost or missing, you need to contact FedEx Customer Service through any of their channels. You can contact them by phone, online chat, or email.
Once you have contacted FedEx, they will advise you to file a claim so they can take the next steps to resolve your issue. After a claim has been filed, FedEx will try to recover the lost package.
FedEx will start an internal search and audit to try and recover a lost package.
The company will use the information you have provided them, such as the tracking number, point of origin, and destination, so they can try and locate the package.
This internal search and audit process will involve checking records and scanned information to see if the package has been registered into the system. It will also involve checking with the driver if the package has been dropped off.
How Long Does it Take to Recover a Lost Package?
Once a package has been reported lost or missing, FedEx will take the necessary steps to recover it by doing internal audits and checking every record on their end.
In general, FedEx usually takes 5 to 7 business days to resolve a claim on a lost package.
As a last resort, FedEx would conduct a missing mail search. This means getting mail carriers involved in the search by using specific information such as the sender and recipient address, tracking number, shipment date, size and type of container, and any photos available.
If FedEx can locate the package, it normally takes up to 7 business days for the package to be returned. The customer will get a claims payout if the package has not been recovered.
The processing time for the payout may vary based on the amount paid to the customer. The payout amount depends on the declared value of the item. Generally, the payout would be faster if the declared item value is less than $1000.
Can a FedEx Package be Tracked If it is Lost?
Sometimes a FedEx package can be lost for several reasons. It might be due to an error on the customer’s part if they provided incorrect information.
Sometimes, it may be due to an error on the carrier’s part if the package has been misplaced or mishandled while in transit. Or it may also be due to unforeseen events such as bad weather or transportation issues.
If a FedEx package is lost, it can still be tracked. If you feel like your package is lost, you need to double-check the tracking information first.
If you have verified this information and the package is still not delivered, you need to report it immediately to FedEx. The package should be reported as Lost or Missing before FedEx can take action.
There are times when a package was just misrouted, or there was an error in the system, which led to it not being delivered on time. In these situations, the package can still be tracked and recovered.
There are also some cases wherein they never recovered the package. When this happens, the customer can file a claim to get a payout corresponding to the item’s value.
While FedEx is generally a reliable shipping company that operates worldwide, things can sometimes go wrong when a package is in transit. No company is perfect, after all.
When something goes wrong with your shipping, you should get in touch with FedEx through any of their customer service channels so you would know the next steps to take.