If you wear nail polish a lot, you will notice after a week or two of applying nail polish that there is a small portion of unpainted nails in the nail bed.
This means that your nails have grown longer. Does this mean that nail polish makes nails grow longer?
It does not. Nail polish does not make nails grow longer.
Here is How Nail Polish Affects the Growth of Nails:
Nail polish does not, in any way, affect the growth of nails. Nails only appear to grow longer and faster because they are more noticeable when wearing nail polish. Nails grow at a normal rate even with nail polish on, and the product’s speed of its growth is not affected.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Does Wearing Nail Polish Help Elongate Your Nails?
Some people say that wearing nail polish can help elongate your nails. This is because the growth of your nails is more noticeable when wearing nail polish, but this is not true.
Wearing nail polish does not help elongate your nails.
The fact is that there is no proof wearing nail polish can affect the growth of your nails.
Do Nails Grow Faster With Nail Polish On?
Nails do not grow faster with nail polish because their chemicals do not help speed up nail growth.
There is no scientific evidence to prove that it does help.
Even with nail polish on, nails tend to grow at a normal rate.
Are Nails Stronger With Nail Polish On?
Wearing nail polish for a prolonged time makes nails weaker and more brittle.
This is because removing nail polish exposes the nails to strong and toxic chemicals that can dry them out. The process also involves applying pressure through buffing and filing, which can weaken the nails.
Many nail experts and professionals recommend taking a few weeks’ “break” between manicures. This is to give your nails some time to recover.
What Can Make Nails Grow Faster?
Nails are made of a hard protein, which is called keratin. You may not know it, but your fingernails are a good indicator of your overall health.
Just by looking at your fingernails, you can tell if you have an underlying health condition or not. You can also tell if you lack certain vitamins and minerals in your body.
Even with nail polish, nails grow normally unless they are severely damaged.
If your nails tend to grow slower than the normal rate, here are things you can do to speed up their growth:
Keep the Nails Dry:
Water can make the nails weaker and more brittle.
So it helps to keep them dry by wearings gloves when washing the dishes or doing the laundry and drying your nails immediately after showering.
Groom the Nails:
Grooming the nails and keeping them filed with a rounded or slightly squared shape can prevent them from breaking.
So when trimming your fingernails, file them afterward.
Take Care of the Cuticles:
The cuticles are the thin pieces of skin on the nail bed.
Cutting them can damage the nails or cause an infection. So it is important to take care of them by not cutting them and regularly moisturizing them.
Avoid Nail Polish Removers with Acetone:
Nail polish removers that contain acetone can weaken the nails and make them dry.
Avoid using these nail polish removers, and go for natural ones. Be cautious about manicures.
Avoid Artificial Nails and Toxic Nail Polishes:
Glue-on artificial nails and toxic nail polishes can weaken the nails and make them more prone to chipping and breaking.
So avoid glue-on artificial nails, and choose the ones with no toxic chemicals when applying nail polish.
Eat Foods that are Rich in Calcium and Protein:
Calcium and protein are two nutrients that promote nail health and aid growth. So eating food rich in these nutrients can help your nail grow faster and make them stronger.
For calcium, opt for dairy products like milk and cheese. You can also increase the amount of leafy green vegetables in your diet as they contain calcium.
You can add more eggs, chicken, turkey, lean meat, and fish to your diet for protein. For meat-free protein sources, go for soy, lentils, and nuts.
Take Biotin to Aid Nail Health and Growth:
Biotin is a B-complex vitamin that helps promote healthy nail growth and strengthen brittle nails. It can also help nails grow faster.
So it helps to eat more food that contains a good amount of biotin, like sardines, whole grains, nuts, soy, bananas, and cauliflower. As an alternative, you can also take biotin supplements.
Are Some Nail Polishes Made For Nail Health?
In general, nail polishes can be harmful to the nails and skin in the long run since they contain chemicals that are toxic to the human body.
Below are the most common chemical additives in nail polishes and how they affect the body:
- Formaldehyde – Used as a preservative in cosmetics, this is a known carcinogen that is linked to different illnesses.
- Phthalates – These are plasticizing chemicals that can disrupt the endocrine system.
- Toluene – This is a volatile substance that is toxic to the immune system.
- Formaldehyde Resin – This helps nail polish adhere, but it can be an allergen.
- Camphor – This is used as a plasticizer, and it can lead to nausea, dizziness, headaches, and seizures when inhaled.
- Triphenyl Phosphate – This makes nail polish durable, but it also disrupts the endocrine system
- Xylene – This is a solvent that is a known allergen and carcinogen. It can affect the skin, eyes, and lungs.
- Ethyl Tosylamide – This is prohibited in some countries as an ingredient for cosmetics.
- Parabens – These substances disrupt can disrupt our hormones.
Because many nail polishes contain harmful substances like the examples above, more and more companies are coming up with safer options.
Different nail polish brands produce more products that do not contain these chemicals. These nail polishes are safer to use and less harmful to the nails.
Here are some of the best nail polishes that are supposed to be all-natural and free from harmful chemicals:
- Good. Kind. Pure. Nail Color by Sally Hansen – Vegan and free from 17 harmful additives
- Nail Polish by Priti NYC – Vegan and free from 10 harmful additives
- 7 Free Nail Polish by Pacifica – Does not contain toluene, phthalates, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, camphor, triphenyl phosphate, and xylene
- Creamy Nail Polish by 100% Pure – Highly pigmented and free from 10 harmful additives
- Patent Shine 10X Nail Lacquer by Butter London – Free from 10 harmful additives and contains bamboo extract for healthier nails
- Toxin Free Nail Polish by Côte – Vegan and free from formaldehyde, phthalate, toluene, camphor, formaldehyde resin, and triphenyl phosphate
- Nail Lacquer by JINSoon – Free from formaldehyde, toluene, phthalate, formaldehyde resin, and camphor
- Lakur Enhanced Colour Nail Polish by Londontown – Free from 9 harmful additives and contains botanicals that make nails stronger
- Nail Varnish by Kure Bazaar – Free from 10 harmful additives and with a base made from wood pulp, cotton, potato, maize, and wheat
- Professional Lacquer by Zoya – Highly rated by consumers with the best formulation and free from 10 harmful additives